12 St Teresa’s High School - 175 years - Randolph A. Rodricks

posted Oct 24, 2018, 7:12 AM by Neil D'Souza   [ updated Oct 24, 2018, 7:12 AM ]
One hundred and seventy-five years is a long time in the history of a school—a history that cannot be measured merely in terms of numbers or past milestones. The 175 years of St Teresa's High School, Girgaum, is a living chronicle about the shaping of minds, the building of careers and the moulding of character of the thousands of young boys and girls who have passed through its portals, since the mid-19th century.

1844–1887: In 1844, there was a small primary school started in Khotachi Wadi, founded by a Portuguese gentleman, Mr Dominic Mendes, with 30 Christian students and one teacher. The medium of instruction was Portuguese. After a few years, it was transferred to the premises of St Teresa's Chapel, under the control of the Chaplain.

1887–1904: In 1887, the medium of instruction was changed to English, and the student strength rose to 40. After tremendous efforts, the then Chaplain, Rev. Fr Joseph Soares got the School recognised by the Government. The student strength rose to 115. It was during this period that Ms Elizabeth Rowe, the future Head Mistress of renown, was a student here.

Between 1893 and 1904, the School was consolidated under three priests—Frs J. Simoes, John Misquitta and Peter Fernandes. In 1902-03, Ms Elizabeth Rowe was appointed Head Mistress, a post she held till her demise in the mid-50s. In 1904, Fr (later Monsignor) J. dos Remedios, an early graduate with a B.A. degree, and fresh out of the Catholic Seminary in Kandy, Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) became Chaplain, and headed the School. He was the chief architect of its rise to fame and excellence in those years. With good leadership, it was rising to become the leading school in the area.

Read More...